Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 11 of Thanksgiving

Today I am thankful for:

My Grandpa!!!!

My grandpa served as a Marine in WW2 battle of Iwo Jima! He rarely talks about it...but when he does he goes on forever! I can remember the first time I heard him talk about it. I remember sitting there thinking "wow...my grandpa is a hero...a real life hero!" And I still think that today! He talks about how many men lost their lives that day, many of his friends! He was told to hold the flag-the famous raising of the flag picture-but he says "I told them no, I did not want to be a dead hero!" I know that might sound very weak and cowardly...but it could be because of his decision I am here today! I don't see it as cowardly at all!
He was given a purple heart, but refused it. He had an ingrown toenail that prevented him from duty. He didn't see it honorable to receive a purple heart when men lost their lives. I don't know too many people that would turn down a purple heart! 



My grandpa is and forever will be a real life hero...and for that I am extremely thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment