Monday, May 6, 2013

Fit vs. Skinny



I cannot tell you how badly this topic bugs me-especially since I used to believe it. It seriously gets under my skin so much I don't even know where to begin!

Before I began this journey of becoming fit, I used to tell myself all the time-gosh I wish I were skinny like I used to be! ALL THE TIME I would tell myself that. So back in January I made a decision to get my butt moving so I could be "skinny" again. Within the first month I came across different fitness profiles on Instagram and Facebook who never once mentioned the word "skinny" and I found that odd. The more and more I read their posts and blogs the more my mindset changed. They were exercising to be FIT not to be SKINNY. 

I think in todays society especially the word skinny is thrown out there as the norm and if you don't fit that then you are "fat"! Such lies and I am ashamed I used to believe those lies! I can remember when I was in high school I used to HATE and I mean HATE my "athletic built" legs...meaning I didn't have slender straight legs like all my friends had. I have since grown to love my legs-and I don't think that is being vain at all! I have worked hard to tone them and still have some progress to make! Back when I was "skinny" I weighed 125lbs. I now weigh 140 and look 10x better than when I weighed 125! No one would guess I weigh 140 and I am in no way ashamed of that number! You know why? Muscle weighs more than fat!!!!! I have built up more muscle and have less body fat than when I was 125lbs! 

Anyways back to my point...and that being: please stop believing the lies that you have to be skinny to be beautiful! I'm sorry but when you purposely allow your body to be so skinny you can count your bones that is not beautiful to me-maybe to some-but definitely not to me. There is a huge difference between being fit and healthy vs. skinny and unhealthy! Stop working out to be skinny and start lifting to be fit! Surround yourself with positive role models who have the same goal in mind. 

"I'd rather be fit and healthy than skinny and hungry!" 

3 comments:

  1. AMEN, Lindsay!! I appreciate you writing this article!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! I saw this picture of Pinterest of a girl who weighed 120 and then she started lifting weights and weighed 140. She looked way better after she started lifting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good post!! I recently saw a picture on Pinterest of a girl who used to weight 115 pound and then she started lifting and weighed 135. She looked so much better after!

    ReplyDelete