Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Never Grow Up...

It was early Sunday morning--about 3AM-I woke up and had this intense pressure in my lower stomach. Thought to myself, hmmm that was weird and tried to fall back to sleep. Thirty minutes later...same thing! Then twenty minutes later same thing. This pattern continued for the next hour or so. Not knowing if these were contractions or not, I thought I better start to time them. By the time my husband woke up at 6AM for work the intense pressure was about every 6-7 minutes apart. I told my husband how I spent the last 3 hours and he suggested I call the advice nurse. Being that I was scheduled to have a C-section on Thursday-due to the fact he was breech-the advice nurse advised I come in to get checked. We quickly packed a bag, called our parents, and headed up to Roseville. The drive up Hazel seemed to take forever. The contractions were pretty intense-or so I thought at the time. We arrived, got checked in, got hooked up...and then the real contractions started. The chart ranges from 0-10: 10 being the highest. By the time I was hooked up and monitored, my contractions were off the chart...OUCH!!! I remember thinking during those painful contractions "how in the heck do women do this WITHOUT any pain medication?!?!" Because I was contracting and starting to dilate--not good when you have to have a c-section--they gave me medicine to stop the contractions, booked an OR, and put us in a delivery room to wait until an OR opened. Meanwhile, my parents were on their way down, James' parents were on their way to the hospital...Wesley was being delivered ASAP! Finally an OR opened and the nurse walked me in. I don't think I will ever forget walking in to the OR. I just remember thinking-don't look around Lindsay, just get up on the table and lets get this show on the road! The Dr. gave me the spinal block and within minutes I could no longer feel by lower half--crazy how fast it works. The surgery began at 12:00 and by 12:17pm Wesley James Gregory was born into the world at 6lbs 3oz 19in and the most beautiful baby I had ever seen:

It still amazes me what an incredible gift God gave us. The past year has flown by and I cannot believe our little Wesley is already a whole year old. It has truly been the greatest joy to watch Wesley  grow over the past year. Before you're a parent, you never really think about that first year-at least I didn't. There are so many milestones that happen from 0-12 months. Rolling over, sitting up, crawling, walking, talking, eating, and the list goes on and on!

I think over the last 12 months I have really learned a lot. Not just about being a parent, but about myself as well. Its funny, before you are a parent you say things like "when I have a child, I will never...." or "when I have a child, he/she will..." but you know what I've learned? All of that goes out the window when you actually HAVE a child...and I think most moms would agree with me on that. Until you are a parent, there are just things you don't really know...or realize for that matter! In no way do I say that in a negative light...its just what it is.

Taylor Swift sings this song called "never grow up". There is a section of the song that I sing to Wesley sometimes at night when I'm putting him to bed...goes like this:

Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple

I feel like the past year flew by so fast. I have a TODDLER!!!! How did this happen so quickly!?!

Wesley, you truly are the best gift God ever gave us...we love you SO much!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, first of all, you look way too cute in that picture to have just had a baby! Second of all, I totally agree that most of the things you think you'll do or claim, TOTALLY go out the window. There are so many things I said I would or wouldn't do, that has not been the case... But it is what it is!

    Wesley is such a cutie! Hope he had a great first birthday! I will have to check out that song!!

    ReplyDelete